DOGGONE EVERYTHING (In Search of Something)

Monday, July 06, 2009

BookAngst 101: Fine Whine I: An Unpublished Writer’s Rant

BookAngst 101: Fine Whine I: An Unpublished Writer’s Rant: "A VOCATION OF UNHAPPINESS [Courtesy Georges Simenon (1903-1985)]
'Writing is considered a profession, and I don't think it is a profession. I think that everyone who does not need to be a writer, who thinks he can do something else, ought to do something else. Writing is not a profession but a vocation of unhappiness. I don't think an artist can ever be happy.'"

I would agree with this, in part. I would say there is a tendency toward melancholy (moi) more than utter unhappiness or despair. I know a number of authors (all genres), visual artists, and musicians who reside on various points of this line - from easy-going, even happy, to acute anxiety to bouts of depression to bi-polar disorder. I agree that if you can do something else, it would be better for you and your sanity, and also for the public, as it might help raise literacy levels. Too many people who are not really writers (i.e. they just have a friend who's an editor, so figure, what the heck! might as well, or are celebrities, and have someone to write for them or to help them write 24/7) clog up the industry with crap or nonsense & make writers and authors with a deep passion for writing nearly tear their hair out in agony. (I'll discuss one such recent useless book in another post).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home